Monday, February 8, 2010

We are Home!!!

We have been home for a week, and I am just now getting a chance to blog. It has been nonstop around here, and I think it will probably be that way for awhile. I think in all of the adoption paperwork and travel plans, I forgot to plan to bring home a baby, because I forgot how much time and energy they require!

Things are going very good now, but we definitely had it rough last week. Paige and I both got the stomach bug on the flight from Dubai to New York. She recovered quickly and was feeling fine by the time we made it to New York, but I was very sick all the way to San Antonio. I have never been so happy to see my house and my bed. On Sunday, Paige came down with double pink eye, and we both had horrible coughs the entire week. I think the coughs were from all of the pollution in Ethiopia. Mason has a double ear infection and his TB skin test had a reaction. We had to have a chest xray done, but it came back negative. Thank God!! The reaction was probably because he was exposed to it somewhere along the way.

Mason is doing wonderful. He is sleeping about 12-13 hours a night and eating like a champ. He has attached beautifully to me, which is exactly what we prayed for. The only negative is that he wants to be held by me all of the time. Unfortunately, I cannot do that , so there is a lot of crying right now. I think it is just going to take some time for him to learn to trust that I am not going anywhere. I have to remind myself that he has lost so many people in his little life, that he is probably terrified of losing again. It is so tragic.

It is truly amazing watching him change everyday. The first three days we had him, he did not smile one time. He was a very sad little baby. Slowly, he began smiling at me and Paige, and now he is beginning to smile at strangers. He also did not move much the first week, but now he is beginning to crawl on his elbows and knees, and gaining strength in his legs. The doctor in San Antonio thinks he is between 12-14 months old, but we are taking him to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, to their International Adoption Clinic, in two weeks. We should learn a lot more about his age, developmental level, and health at that point.

We could not have asked for a more precious little boy, and are blessed to have him in our lives. We can only hope that we are making him as happy as he is making us .

I will try to blog more about our trip. It was definitely a trip of a lifetime!!

No comments:

Post a Comment